Pidcoke is derived from that of the Rev. Richard Burton Pidcocke family from England, who immigrated in 1850 with a group of colonists to found a city in Central Texas. The proposed town site was on Cowhouse Creek.
Pidcoke became a bustling little town with several businesses and two churches. The Pidcoke Methodist Episcopal Church South (now Pidcoke United Methodist) was organized as a Gatesville Mission Church in 1883. The first meeting was held in a log cabin at Rogers Corn Mill on the Cowhouse Creek, under the leadership of Rev. White. The first pastor was J. W. Montgomery. In 1904, for a sum of fifty dollars, Eli Williamson sold the church the acre of land on which the present sanctuary was built in 1905.
1983 was the centennial year for Pidcoke UMC, and letters were received from President Ronald Reagan and V.P. George Bush. In 1989 the church sanctuary was refurbished on the inside, a new roof was installed, and the exterior was covered in native Coryell County stone.
In 1997 a new 3200 square foot fellowship hall was built. The current paved parking lot was done in 2007. Many other improvements and equipment acquisitions were done over this time.
The 125th anniversary was celebrated on October 26, 2008.